Monday, July 23, 2018

24bc Venice - A night at the Opera in Verona

Nabucco by Verdi was the opera playing in the arena tonight. Knowing that
the opera would run for over 3 hours we purchased cushions to avoid the
dreaded numb bum syndrome. Comfortable seating, not particularly as the
seating rows were very close together, yet steep enough that everyone
enjoyed an uninterrupted view of the massive stage. Acoustics, sets and
stage effects were amazing. It was literally a cast of thousands as the
stage was packed with actors on foot, actors on horseback and carriages that
raced from one side of the stage to the other. All in Italian. don't worry
they did have a screen with subtitles.
Within the Arena it was hot and the smoke from the effects also had an
affect on many of the patrons. During the first act, a team of orange first
aiders were kept busy racing from one side to another tending those who
couldn't cope.
I was also feeling the effects of the heat and smoke and at one stage I
raced to the toilets to splash my face with a little cold water. Concerned
staff made sure I was ok before I headed back to my seat.
Sitting through 2 acts the symptoms were starting to return and Garry and I
decided best to head back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment