Tuesday, August 14, 2018

35 d Nanortalik - Kaffe Mik

My favourite of the day was the Kaffe-mik and Choir held in the Culture
centre. Kaffe-mik (coffee party) is an old tradition where families invite
guests to their homes for coffee, tea and their famous Greenlandic cake. It
had the texture of a sweet bread with sultanas. I don't know if it was the
lovely hot coffee, delicious cake or the melodious singing of the Nanortalik
Choir, it was simple, but very enjoyable.

There was a group of eight singers, and we have since been told that the
seven of them went to school together and the older lady with the magnifying
glass was their teacher. Even though we couldn't understand them, we loved
the enchanting and harmonised songs they sang about their way of life. I
did take a short video and if I can work it out I will try to embed it into
my blog. All I can say is that I just smiled throughout the performances.
Yes, that is with an "s" because we did stay for a long time. It was the
best $20 we have spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment